Substance Use Disorder and National Call to Action
The demand for Florida rehab centers and Florida detox centers will remain high until attitudes and approaches to the problem of drug addiction and alcoholism change. Spring Gardens Recovery in Florida is located on the west coast, just outside Tampa, but we pay close attention to the statewide and national conversation about policies regarding alcohol and drug addiction treatment. Recently, we heard about an interesting discussion planned on Florida’s east coast – a few hours away from us, in Boca Raton.
If you or a family member is ready for the help a Florida drug detox center – like Spring Gardens’ Florida detox center – can offer, you may be interested in this unique event.
With addiction and alcoholism reaching pandemic levels worldwide and with epidemic levels in the United States, the Delray Beach Drug Taskforce and FAU's Phyllis and Harvey Sandler's School of Social Work are partnering on a cutting-edge symposium and “National Call to Action on Substance Use Disorder.” The two organizations are bringing together a panel of nationally renowned thought leaders, entertainers, and policy makers for the third annual SUDTALKS, taking place on Saturday, April 7 from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Barry Kaye Auditorium at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton.
The speakers represent 12 disciplines, essential components in the battle against the epidemic of addiction. SUDTALKS will also feature personal recovery testimonies of iconic celebrities who are in recovery. Featured speakers include:
· Pat O'Brien, former CBS Sportscaster and “Access Hollywood” host, and bestselling author
· Royce DA 5 9, rapper, songwriter and Eminem collaborator
· Darryl Strawberry, Major League Baseball great
· Brandon Novak, former “Jackass” cast member, skateboard star and New York Times best-selling author “Dreamseller”
· Heather Hayes, renowned interventionist and cast member of Dr. Drew’s “Intervention”
· Jeff Mangum, national acclaimed recovery playwright and spoke n word artist
· Joseph "LMS" Green, internationally recognized award-winning poet
· John McAndrew, singer, composer and storyteller
· John Hulick, former New Jersey Drug Czar
· Justin Chapman, Assistant Florida State Attorney
· Carol McDaid, principal at Capital Decisions and expert in treatment and mental health policy
· William Cope Moyers, Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
· General Barrye L. Price, PhD, Community Anti Drug Coalition of America
· Leonard Lee Buschel, co-founder of non-profit Writers in Treatment and executive director of REEL Recovery Film Festival
· Dr. Janet Robishaw, PhD., Professor and Chair of Biomedical Science at the FAU Charles F. Schmidt College of Medicine.
· Dr. Wendy Guastaferro, PhD, Associate Professor, Criminology and Criminal Justice at FAU.
· Dr. Heather Howard, PhD, LCSW and assistant professor, School of Social Work, FAU
“Substance abuse is ravaging our nation and our local community. The battle against the ever-rising tide of addiction is on-going and new tools are needed to crush the epidemic by changing the way we think, feel, believe and treat Substance Use Disorder,” said Gary Kimble, Executive Producer of SUDTALKS. “The 2018 SUDTALKS will provide inspiration, hope, education and solutions to combat addiction”.
Proceeds from the 2018 SUDTALKS will support essential lifesaving initiatives through the continued development and expansion of the Delray Beach Drug Task Force First Responders Training Program and to support a Delray Beach Drug Task Force Community Advocate.
Tickets to the event are $15 or $25 and $10 for students with a student ID. For more information or to purchase tickets, please visit:
About Delray Beach Drug Task Force
The mission of the Delray Beach Drug Taskforce is to provide community leadership in the campaign against addiction by maintaining a network and forum to discuss, advocate and influence issues with regards to public safety, prevention, and rehabilitation and to provide education on issues related to and resulting from Substance Use Disorder. For more more information please visit: www.sudtalks.com
About Florida Atlantic University Phyllis and Harvey Sandler School of Social Work
The school is partnering with the Delray Beach Drug Taskforce to present this event reflecting the school’s mission of maximizing human potential, alleviating human suffering, enhancing the vitality and caring capacity of communities, and through education, research and community engagement promoting excellent in addictions treatment and the ideals of a humane and just society and mobilizing knowledge in the broader community regarding addictions and addictions treatment services.
About the Author
Kelly Fitzgerald is a sober writer based in Southwest Florida who is best known for her personal blog The Adventures of a Sober Señorita. Her work has been published across the web including sites like The Huffington Post, Thought Catalog, Ravishly, SheKnows, Elite Daily, The Fix, Brit + Co, Addiction Unscripted and AfterPartyMagazine. She is currently writing a memoir.